Repairing handmade garments: Spring Archer

Spring Archer repairs - pocket unfolded

This weekend I decided to tackle a little project that had been on the back burner for quite a while: repairing one of my handmade garments.  I don’t know about you, but making repairs and alterations is not one of my favorite things to do!  However, my Spring Archer had some serious problems that needed attention, and I wanted to breathe new life into this much-loved shirt.

The problems

  • My two-layer pocket idea was a total FAIL.  After a few rounds in the washing machine, it became apparent that I hadn’t properly catched the underlayer in the topstitching, and it kept flopping out as you see above.
  • The sleeves were too long.  This cotton seems to stretch vertically over time, ugh!
  • The sleeve cuffs were too wide and kept sliding off my wrists.  This is no doubt due to the extra width (about 1 inch) added to the sleeve when constructing the tower plackets, a fact which I only realized after it was too late.
  • The tower plackets were too long, and therefore, kept gaping open during wear.

Continue reading