This year has been all about quilting for me. I’ve been really enjoying participating in the Cambridge Modern Quilt Guild, which is full of extremely talented quilt artists. And I do not use the word artist lightly! My work is total amateur hour compared to many of these quilters. With that said, I’ve been learning a lot and thoroughly enjoying the process. Here are the highlights of my quilting progress since January or so. Continue reading
My Aqueduct Quilt is finally finished, hooray! This was a really fun and rewarding project, from the initial sketches through fabric selection, piecing, and quilting. It took me about nine months from start to finish (with a long period of inactivity in the middle), but I’m glad I persevered and finally finished it.
You can read all about the design and sewing process in my series of in-progress posts.
And now, onto the photos!
It should be no surprise to anyone reading this blog that I enjoy sewing the same pattern over and over (and over…) again. What can I say? Once I go through the trouble of tracing, muslining, and adjusting a pattern, I like to get as much mileage out of it as possible. Plus, there’s just something so satisfying about starting a project without all the fuss of fitting – just cut and sew.
So, here I present to you yet another pair of Carolyn Pajamas, this time in short sleeves and shorts for the upcoming spring and summer months. The main fabric is a railroad denim that had been marinating in my mini-stash for over a year. Since I don’t stash fabric, the fact that this piece had not yet been put to good use was driving me crazy. It was one of only 2 uncut pieces of fabric that I currently own, and it was long overdue for its time at the sewing machine. I had originally bought it to make a pair of pants, but I recently changed my mind and decided to use it for PJs instead. Done and done!
I sewed something! Can you believe it? I can barely believe it myself. 🙂 This is a pair of Carolyn Pajama shorts using the leftover flannel from my winter PJ set, which has been getting plenty of wear over the last few months. I had just a bit (maybe 3/4 yard?) of fabric leftover and wanted to put it to good use. Plus, this was a quick and easy project to lure me back into the sewing vortex after my unexpected and much too long hiatus. (I’m wearing it with a hacked Renfrew tee that I made last summer, which has also gotten a ton of wear.)
Winter is coming, and now I have a cozy new pair of flannel pajamas to enjoy the cold weather in style! I never thought it would take me over three months to complete this project, but if life is going to get all up in my grill, the least it can do is give me a new pair of fancy PJs in the process. 🙂 I chose gender-neutral colors for this project since I still plan on making matching PJs for my boyfriend – stay tuned for that awesomeness! For now though, let’s talk about this set that’s mine, all mine!
Damn right folks, I made another glorious pair of Sarrouel Trousers (aka #diapershorts), and I freaking love them! I don’t know what it is about this crazy style, but I am totally enamored with these shorts. They’re weird, they’re unflattering, but they’re so much fun to sew and wear. I think the reason I love them so much is **because** they’re so unusual and non-traditional. I spend so much of the year bundled up in boring old jeans and layers upon layers of sweaters that I find it really fun and exciting to wear something different for a change.
And yes, in case you’re wondering, I’ve already worn these out and about on the streets of Boston and for a full day of work at the university… and no one said a thing. Really folks, no one cares what you’re wearing, so wear whatever makes you happy! My floral rayon pair has become my favorite summer garment and probably my favorite thing I’ve sewn all year, and I wear them with pride on a regular basis. I’m so glad I now have another crazy pair to add to the rotation. 🙂
My streak of extremely simple projects continues! This summer I found myself in desperate need of simple tops to wear to work. I wanted all the following characteristics:
- Short sleeves, since I always seem to get cold in sleeveless tops in air conditioned buildings.
- Low enough neckline to be comfortable, but high enough that I won’t have to worry about flashing anyone.
- Relaxed enough fit to not have to worry about showing off a full stomach, but close fitting enough to still be flattering.
- Must be made of 100% cotton (to survive the 1-mile, often very sweaty, walk into work) and knit fabric (for comfort when moving around all day).
Ah work, you kill me! So many requirements! Of course, these are all self-imposed requirements, but they limit the available design options a bit. I hemmed and hawed over what to do, and I finally decided on simple t-shirts, modifying my already-heavily-modified Renfrew pattern to fulfill my list of demands. It was a good excuse to make a few fitting changes that I had been putting off, most notably a broad back adjustment.