After many months and what seems like an epic number of hours hunched over my cutting table, I’m happy to report that all the millions of pieces of my floral Robson trench coat are finally cut, interfaced, and ready to sew. Hooray! 🙂
As you can see above, I’m using fusible hair canvas on the front facings to give the lapels a bit of structure. This is the good stuff from Fashion Sewing Supply. It’s my first time using it, so we’ll see how it goes! I opted NOT to use sew-in hair canvas and pad stitch it in, mostly to preserve my sanity. The lapels may stick out a bit as a result, but I think I’m ok with that.
I’m using regular interfacing along the jacket and sleeve hems. I’ve done this before with my Simplicity 2446 blazers to great effect.
There is quite a large pile of cut pieces currently sitting on my sewing table. It’s a little overwhelming! Between the floral outer fabric, flannel interlining, rayon lining, and all the little pieces for the pockets, sleeve tabs, welts, etc…. I think this coat is going to weigh a ton! Not to mention the awesome black bias binding that is going to be outlining all the major pieces. 🙂
I’ve been reading up on how to assemble a jacket with both an interlining and lining. I think I may leave all 3 layers as separate as possible to allow for movement, but I have a feeling I’ll wing it as I start assembling. One thing I’ve decided is that I won’t be treating the interlining like an underlining (assembling the main fabric and interlining as one) since I don’t want the bulk of the flannel in the major garment seams. We’ll see if I live to regret this or not!
At this point the sewing has officially begun: I started putting together the interlining pieces over the weekend. I’m excited! The cutting on this project was really weighing me down, but now that it’s done and fall is approaching, I’ve found some momentum on this project. I’ll keep you posted. 🙂