After sewing my first welt pockets, I found myself ravenously blood-thirsty for MOAR KNOWLEDGE on this absolutely fascinating subject. It turns out that Googling “welt pocket tutorial” results not only in a ton of tutorials, but a never-ending rabbit hole of welt pocket awesomeness. There are SO many tutorials and SO many different techniques. If one were a crazy sewing lady, one might find oneself in welt pocket heaven. Just a warning. 🙂
Anyway, I found myself mentally classifying all the tutorials I came across into various categories based on technique, and it soon became too much for my poor little brain to handle. Then I started writing it all down in a big list. Then I thought, maybe some other crazy sewing ladies (and dudes?) might also enjoy a categorized list of glorious welt pocket goodness. You see where this is going…
Allow me to humbly present:
A Big List of Welt Pocket Tutorials!
Single welts, double welts, zippered welts, welts with flaps, the works!
A few disclaimers: I haven’t tested out any of these tutorials. I didn’t include video tutorials. There are WAY MORE welt pocket tutorials out there! I got wiped out and stopped after about 50 Google hits.
With that said, enjoy! 🙂
Single welt pocket with folded welt
- How to sew a welt pocket (Oliver + S)
- 101: Single welt pockets (Poppykettle)
- Sewing 101 // Welt pocket tutorial (See Kate Sew)
- Welt pocket tutorial (Thread Theory) – Includes a self-fabric backing to prevent the pocket lining from showing on the outside of the garment. This tutorial looks amazing!
- How to sew a single welt pocket (Fashion Incubator) – Does not include pocket bag instructions.
Single welt pocket with separate welt
- Sewing welt pockets (Craftsy)
- Sewing single-welt pockets (Historical Sewing)
- How to make single welt pockets (Workroom Social) – Instructs you to sew the welt and pocket pieces together in one long strip before installing the pocket.
- Burda Style welt pocket tutorial (Sewcial Warrior) – Instructs you to sew all the pocket pieces to the welt before cutting open the pocket, similar to but slightly different than the Workroom Social tutorial.
- Welt pocket tutorial (Harlots and Angels) – Instructs you to sew the welt to the upper pocket before installing the welt in the garment.
- Big Bow Coat – Welt pocket tutorial (Guthrie & Ghani) – Similar to above, only for a vertical pocket (i.e., on the outside of a coat).
- How to sew a single welt pocket (with pocket bag) (Pattern Runway) – Includes a self-fabric backing.
- Tutorial: Those $&(#@&!) Welt Pockets (Steam Ingenious) – Essentially the same as above.
- Welt pockets tutorial (Cut Out + Keep) – Essentially the same as above.
- Ninot tutorial: Welt pockets (Pauline Alice) – Essentially the same as above.
- How to sew single (and double) welt pockets (Style Arc) – Essentially the same as above, but includes instructions for both single and double welt pockets.
Double welt pocket (aka bound pocket) with folded welt
- Welt pockets tutorial (Melly Sews) – Forms a double welt using folded welts and 2 separate pocket bag pieces.
- Welt pocket construction (Fashion Incubator) – Forms a double welt by folding a single piece of fabric, but does not include pocket bag instructions.
- “No Fail” Double Welt Pocket (Palmer/Pletsch) – Probably the most detailed welt pocket tutorial ever! Even includes bonus instructions for inserting a decorative flap.
Double welt pocket with separate welts
- Welt pockets (Colette/Sewalongs.com)
- Thurlow Sew-Along: Welt Pockets (Lladybird)
- Double welt pocket with looped button closure (Handmade by Carolyn) – Upper and lower pocket are formed from a single folded piece. Includes a built-in button loop!
- Double welt pocket with button tap (Flickr tutorial by Ann Rowley) – Includes a built-in button tab. (BTW, is this Ann from Season 1 of the Great British Sewing Bee??)
- Drafting a welt pocket (Nicole at Home) – Provides instructions for calculating the size of the welt pieces (not a full pocket installation tutorial though).
All-in-one welt pocket (single- or double-welt)
- One-piece single welt pocket (BurdaStyle)
- Pockets XXII – Double welt pockets (Ikat bag) – Forms an all-in-one double-welt pocket, with button closure!
Zippered welt pockets
Welt pockets on seam lines
Decorative and faux welt pockets
- Tutorial for sewing curved welt pocket design (The Project Lady) – A sweetheart-shaped pocket with welts that overlap at the central “V.” This is adorable!
- Welt pocket (How did you make this?) – A single welt pocket with a built-in decorative flap.
- How to sew a flap pocket (Sew Mama Sew) – Similar to above.
- “No Fail” Double Welt Pocket (Palmer/Pletsch) – A double welt pocket with bonus flap instructions. (This tutorial is a repeat from the folded double welt section above. I wanted to include it in the flap section as well. Plus, this tutorial is so awesome, it’s just worth mentioning twice!)
- Simplicity 1696 and faux welt pocket tutorial (SouthShore Handmade) – Single faux welt pocket (welt, but no pocket bag).
Bonus pocket compilation
- Top 10 awesome pockets (and a few tutorials) (Behind the Hedgerow) – A fun round-up of 10 types of pockets, complete with links to various tutorials and a welt pocket how-to video.
I hope you find this compilation useful, and more importantly, I hope you sew some fabulous welt pockets! If you have a favorite welt pocket tutorial that I haven’t mentioned here (and wow, there are so many of them), feel free to leave a link in the comments so we can all read and enjoy. Happy sewing!