Some sewing projects are all about the fabric.
A few months ago I sat down with my morning coffee and my laptop, opened the Hawthorne Threads newsletter, and saw this colorful geometric print staring me in the face. I HAD TO HAVE IT. I immediately clicked on the link, only to find that it had already sold out! The horror! I guess I wasn’t surprised though, since it really is a truly awesome print. It lingered in my brain for a few weeks as I lamented my bad timing, until one day when I stumbled upon a bolt in my local shop, Gather Here. Yes!! I scooped up a yard, and this awesome skirt was born.
Pattern: Grainline Moss mini, size 8.
Fabric: 100% cotton canvas. The print is GeoPop by Emmie K for Robert Kaufman in the “chevy in sorbet” colorway (currently on backorder). The lining is Bemberg rayon in cerise, and I used leftover pink Oxford shirting for the pocket bags and waistband facing.
Modifications: Same as last time (removed some waistband gaping at the center back, and added a bit of length to the hem).
Level of crafty satisfaction: LOVE! 🙂
I took my time cutting out the pieces for this skirt (4 hours in total!) and tried to match the pattern at visible seams as best I could. Since I only had 1 yard to work with, I could only do so much! I’m pretty happy with the center back seam (at least at the hem) and how the vertical stripes on the back yokes blend nicely into the skirt pieces below. The side seams also came out fairly well, with the exception of a tiny vertical stripe peeking out on the right side. Close enough!
Because the print is so bright and busy, I didn’t want the topstitching to stand out. I sewed a double row in regular white thread and called it a day.
Construction wise, there isn’t much more to say about this skirt that I haven’t already said in my coral and denim versions, so I’m just going to share a bunch of photos with you. Get out your sunglasses, folks!
Photos on the hanger:
The full lining:
Some close-up shots of the fly. I think I’ve got the fly zipper installation down at this point, but handling the lining is still just beyond my grasp. Somehow I miscalculated the size of the lining cut-out on this skirt, and a bit more of the fly facing is exposed than I would have liked. Overall though, I think it’s good enough!
During construction, before the lining was installed:
And a view of the pink pocket innards. So much pink in this project – I love it!
I had so much fun sewing this skirt, no doubt thanks to the combination of TNT pattern and truly amazing fabric. When I showed this fabric to John a few weeks ago, his response was, “Now that’s a Carolyn fabric!” Agreed. So to celebrate a successful project, I’m going to blatantly rip off Vanessa (and fulfill a Twitter dare) and present an…
Truly a sign of a successful make!
To top it all off, this was one of my most cost-effective sewing projects ever, totaling about $12. The yard of fabric was $10, plus the cost of the zipper and 1 button. Everything else was leftover from other projects. Score!