I made another Renfrew, this time in a red zebra print jersey from Mood. The cutting and sewing process went off without a hitch, but I have a feeling that this fabric and pattern just aren’t meant to be. I can’t decide if I should add this to my ever-expanding drawer of Renfrews, toss it in the good will pile, or somehow turn it into a clown costume and earn a few bucks at children’s birthday parties.
The official diagnosis: way too bright/busy of a print for this top, unflattering vertical stripes, and slightly-too-tight fit due to the relative non-stretchiness of this jersey. Womp womp.
Pattern: Sewaholic Renfrew, View A (round neckline with long sleeves).
Fabric: Cotton red zebra print jersey from Mood.
Level of crafty satisfaction: FAIL.
There is just way too much going on here. I love love love this fabric, but I think I may have turned it into a ridiculous looking shirt. OOPS.
Argh, the back is too tight and wrinkly. It’s amazing how different jersey behaves and stretches so differently. I cut out exactly the same pieces for my last few shirts, and each one fits a little differently. Because this jersey doesn’t stretch as much (I think because the red ink is heavy and somewhat immobilizes the fabric), it came out tighter than my other shirts. I am crying a single tear…
I can’t decide if this looks like a red zebra print, a hospital candy striper uniform, a holiday / peppermint / candy cane costume, or the aforementioned clown getup.