Minor surgery (and better fit!) on Renfrew #3

Sewaholic Renfrew 3 minor surgery - front

After mulling it over a bit, I decided to perform some minor surgery on my cowl-neck Renfrew to improve the too-loose-all-over fit.  The original “before” version is on the left, and my slightly nipped-and-tucked “after” version is on the right.  I’m so happy with the improved fit – it made such a huge difference in the way I feel in this top!  I think it looks much cleaner overall, and it’s much more comfortable to wear.  Yay!  : )

Sewaholic Renfrew 3 minor surgery - back

See how much excess fabric came out in the back?  I don’t feel like the top is swimming on me anymore, and I don’t have to keep adjusting it since it’s no longer falling all over the place as I walk around.  I like my tops to stay put.  My minor adjustments also reduced the bat-wing thing going on at the back armholes.  I know bat-wing tops are in right now, but this is not one of them!

Sewaholic Renfrew 3 cowl neck - revised front

Much better overall.  : )  Here’s what I did:

  • Took in the side seams above the waist.  I took in about 3/4 inch right below the armhole, about 1/2 below the bust, and tapered to nothing at the waist.  The upper bust adjustment removed a whopping 3 inches from the width of the top!!
  • Took in the sleeve seams, about 1/2 inch at the underarm and 1/4 inch for the rest of the sleeve.
  • Hacked off 3 inches from the bottom of the sleeves.  I cut off the old sleeve cuffs and attached slightly narrower new ones to reflect the slightly narrower sleeves.

Sewaholic Renfrew 3 cowl neck - revised left side

I like my sleeves to be close fitting and to hit right at or slightly above the elbow, which is exactly what I have in the revised top.  The old sleeves were just too loose for my taste, and I found myself constantly pushing them up above my elbows anyway.  Might as well just cut them shorter and avoid all the fidgeting!

Sewaholic Renfrew 3 cowl neck - revised back

I washed and dried this top before making the alterations, just to make sure that I wasn’t working with stretched out fabric.  This jersey is 100% cotton with poor recovery.  I like the soft feel of it, but it does stretch out a little as the day goes on.

Sewaholic Renfrew 3 cowl neck - revised front 2Anyway, I feel a million times better in my revised top, and now I know where to nip and tuck for the v-neck version that’s waiting on my sewing table.  I don’t think the old top looked bad, but I just wasn’t comfortable in it.  If we’re going to invest the time and money to make our own clothes, we might as well feel fantastic in them!  : )

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Minor surgery (and better fit!) on Renfrew #3

  1. YAY! Good on you for persevering and making it work…it looks really flattering, I must say. Now you’ve got a TNT (can’t stop saying that!) that you can make again and again and you know it’ll looks great. Congrats 🙂

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s