Apparently all I needed to really get this dress in gear was a 3-day weekend, because this baby is almost DONE! Woo hoo! : ) Between yesterday and tonight after work, I put the skirt pieces together, attached them to the bodice, and put in the invisible zipper. This just goes to show how much sewing I could get done if I didn’t have to work! Wouldn’t that be nice? : )
The zipper went in pretty invisibly, as you can see above, thanks to lots of calming deep breaths, about a million pins, and some extremely slow sewing. I really need to get an invisible zipper foot because doing it with a regular zipper foot is way too stressful!
The outside of the dress is pretty much complete at this point (with the exception of the hem), but the inside still needs work. As you can see above, I still have to slipstitch the bodice lining to the skirt lining…
… and hand stitch the back lining pieces to the zipper tape. Thankfully I actually enjoy doing this bit of hand stitching. I find it extremely relaxing and take a lot of satisfaction in the neat appearance of the finished product. It feeds my perfectionist tendencies. : )
The only tricky part will be the center back neckline, which for some reason I always have trouble getting just right. I think it’s the fact that there are a lot of layers being squished into such a small area, and this area really needs to look good on the outside of the dress. I’m sure I’ll figure it out though… just not tonight. I’ve had enough after all the zipper drama!
I tried on the dress after the zipper went in, and I have to say, I think it looks great. : ) I’m starting to think that all my pattern alteration frustrations might have been worth it after all! I didn’t take a picture of myself in the dress since I figured I’d save that until the dress is actually finished, but stay tuned for some nice photos of the finished product. I’m excited about this one!