My first muslin of Butterick 5353 was such a disaster that pretty much the only thing to do at this point is sit back, have a big glass of wine, and laugh at how ridiculous it is. : ) I don’t often call my projects a hot mess, but this one definitely fits the bill! Please excuse the awful photos in this post – I struggled so much with this stupid dress tonight that I didn’t have any energy left for decent photography. Just please join me in maniacal laughter about how sewing projects can sometimes go very, very wrong.
There are many things that went horribly wrong with this muslin, but I think the main ones are as follows:
- I cut this dress at least one size too big, as it is baggy absolutely everywhere.
- I added too much length to the bodice. Typically I add an inch at the shoulders and an inch at the waist, but it added up to way too much length in this case. Pattern alternation FAIL.
- Even taking into account the previous two bullets, the bodice is HUGE. Do you see all that extra width (several inches on each side) under my arms? WTF?!?!???
- I suck at sewing princess seams (it was my first time doing this) and circular seams (ditto). Curvy seams are not for beginners!
This dress makes me look like a triangle-shaped alien from a very unfashionable planet. As LOLcats would say, I haz a sad. 😦
Another view from the front – the entire dress is sitting way too low. I’ll have to remove some of the length I added. Bummer.
Baggy baggy baggy. I can’t decide if this is better or worse than wearing an actual potato sack. At least the polka dots are pretty!
Surprisingly, the view from the back doesn’t look all that bad. Go figure.
Here you can see just how wide the bodice is – what’s up with that craziness??? I think I might have to manually pinch it out once I cut the smaller size. Also, I’m not sure how well you can see this from the photo, but the apex of the princess seams is sitting well below my actual bust apex. Pattern alteration fail on my part. Oh well.
As I mentioned, this was my first ever attempt at sewing princess seams. It did not go well. Apparently princess seams are a bitch (at least for a beginner)! I took many calming deep breaths and enlisted the help of my sewing reference book, but alas, my seams came out like crap. I assume this will get better with practice.
Here you can see my messy sewing table as I was struggling to pin the princess seams. Blargh!!!
I need to ask the sewing gods to have mercy on this dress, as I really would like to have a good-looking finished version at some point. For now, I’m going to take a little break from this mess and then get back to my ruler, pencil, and scissors.