Tonight I finished off the final details of the bright happy dress: hemming the dress and the lining, and making a quick blue sash. Technically the dress is finished at this point, so look for the photo shoot coming soon! : ) You can see the finished hem in the photo above – just a simple machine hem for each layer. Below are a few photos of the belt, which is fabulously turquoise. Love it!
I used the sash pattern from Butterick 5613 (my four spring skirts) since I had it lying around and liked the finished sash from previous projects. It was easier than having to measure out a really long rectangle by hand!
So many pins… you know I love my pins. : ) You can see the double horizontal pins where I reminded myself to leave an opening in the center back of the sash for turning it inside out. There is a matching set of double pins just out of view of this photo, leaving about a 5-inch opening.
I used a mattress stitch to finish off the sash opening. Ah, the relaxation of a few hand stitches.
I tried on the finished dress with the sash, and I don’t think I’ll need belt loops after all. The sash and the dress are both 100% cotton, so they kind of “stick” to each other, which is perfect for holding up the sash. Awesome.
I can’t believe how quickly this project came together – two weeks flat! Stay tuned for some ta-dah photos. : )