I got a ton of sewing done on my bright happy dress yesterday – see how cute it’s looking so far? : ) The photo above is just a little sneak peak… because you *know* I had to try it on as soon as the zipper went in, haha. Lots of in-progress photos below – enjoy!
The invisible zipper went in like a dream. I think I get a little better at it each time I do it. Above you can see the dress inside out, right after the zipper went in.
The zipper is so straight and even! Full disclosure: I did rip out one small section and do it over, but I think the finished product came out pretty well.
I sewed the lining to the zipper tape by hand, as usual.
Next up: attaching the facings. Here the neckline facing is in, and one of the armhole facings is pinned into place.
Yet another example of me using a million pins. What can I say? : )
All 3 facings went in pretty smoothly. They’re hard to see here because the print is so bright and busy!
And here are the finished facings from the back – before I finished the center back neckline.
To finish the center back, I hand sewed the neckline facing to the zipper tape, making sure to leave enough room between the facing and the zipper teeth so as not to interfere with the operation of the zipper. I tried to make the top pieces neat and even…
… but they inevitably came out slightly uneven! Argh!! I always have so much trouble making this area come out well. Anyone know the secret to a perfect center back neckline?
I *am* pretty happy with the zipper though – you can barely even see it (running vertically) in the photo above!
Once the facings were all set, I started preparing the bodice lining. I’m once again attaching the lining by hand as suggested in the Reader’s Digest New Complete Guide to Sewing (which I highly recommend, by the way – it’s so thorough!). I trimmed off about 1.25 inches from the neckline and armholes, and I tucked the raw edges under by about 1/4 inch. Most of the edge is on the bias, so it’s easy to stretch the edge around the curves.
After some topstitching and pressing, the lining edge looks great!
Here’s the finished bodice lining, ready to be hand-sewn to the fashion fabric facings at the neckline and armholes (and later along the zipper tape and top of the skirt). I have a lot of hand sewing in my future now… but the professional finish is totally worth it.
And here’s a very rare shot of my face! (You can see my finished Daisychain ABCs embroidery proudly displayed in the background.)
Stay tuned for more on the bright happy dress. Hope you’re all enjoying the weekend. : )